Khutbah I gave in Ramadan of how we as Muslims are eating too much during Ramadan when we break our fast causing us to gain weight and further increase obesity amongst the ummah.
In this khutbah I recite the hadith of the description of the death of a believer and the death of a dis-believer. It is a very powerful hadith and made me think about my own life and how to prepare for death.
This khutbah was given in the first Friday of Rajab 1433. I mentioned the sacredness of this month and discussed seeking repentance especially in this month.
This was the second part of the series I began in a previous khutbah here. Basically I discuss the act of fasting and it’s benefits. InshaAllah it is beneficial for you.
I was having a discussion with some family about organic maple syrup vs. Aunt Jemima’s syrup and it then lead to obesity. I then posted on Facebook “Obesity is a choice” which spawned a great discussion. I was then inspired to research and learn more about food, nutrition, diet and it’s relation to Islam and the Prophetic tradition.
This khutbah is part of a series of sermons that I plan on giving on this topic. In the end, inshaAllah, I would like to publish my findings. I believe that Islam has a different solution to many of the health problems we face in America.
Hope you guys enjoy it inshaAllah! Feedback whether positive or negative most welcome.
Update: Part two is here.
I was recently asked to help out with giving khutbahs (Friday sermons) for the local community jummah where I live. At first I hesitated but I decided to go for it. I had given khutbahs before at my MSA but that was several years ago. This would be a lot different since it’s not just college students but parents, elders, young children and the general masjid crowd.
I believe I did a poor job, so have mercy on me with your comments, haha. There are several areas I can improve upon after watching this. I recorded it for this exact reason so I can critique and improve on my khutbah presentation skills. Here are some things I thought I could improve on:
- Memorize the ayah(t) that are referenced in the khutbah. Listen to qaris to get the tajweed correct.
- Don’t type out the entire khutbah, because I barely read from the paper.
- Use bullet points since I like to talk and rant away instead of reading a paper.
- Improve my vocabulary and use a thesaurus for better words.
- Talk to myself first before everyone else.
- Use “I” less and “we” more.
- Do better research in finding relevant ahadith.
- Re-read and understand the ahadith before the khutbah so there is no forgetting.
- If something comes to mind, try to organize your thoughts in your mind before presenting it.
- Stop shaking so much. Exercise and stretch before. Loosen up the muscles.
What are some of your thoughts and comments? InshaAllah I will be giving more in the future, so I have a lot work ahead to improve my presentation skills. JazakAllah khair. Thanks!