I was recently asked to help out with giving khutbahs (Friday sermons) for the local community jummah where I live. At first I hesitated but I decided to go for it. I had given khutbahs before at my MSA but that was several years ago. This would be a lot different since it’s not just college students but parents, elders, young children and the general masjid crowd.
I believe I did a poor job, so have mercy on me with your comments, haha. There are several areas I can improve upon after watching this. I recorded it for this exact reason so I can critique and improve on my khutbah presentation skills. Here are some things I thought I could improve on:
- Memorize the ayah(t) that are referenced in the khutbah. Listen to qaris to get the tajweed correct.
- Don’t type out the entire khutbah, because I barely read from the paper.
- Use bullet points since I like to talk and rant away instead of reading a paper.
- Improve my vocabulary and use a thesaurus for better words.
- Talk to myself first before everyone else.
- Use “I” less and “we” more.
- Do better research in finding relevant ahadith.
- Re-read and understand the ahadith before the khutbah so there is no forgetting.
- If something comes to mind, try to organize your thoughts in your mind before presenting it.
- Stop shaking so much. Exercise and stretch before. Loosen up the muscles.
What are some of your thoughts and comments? InshaAllah I will be giving more in the future, so I have a lot work ahead to improve my presentation skills. JazakAllah khair. Thanks!